The following links are listed to provide you with additional supports and information. The following is not meant to be a comprehensive list, nor is it an endorsement of the content of the sites.
- Know the Signs of Autism – One of the Fastest Growing Developmental Disorders
- Parents Guide to Autism Spectrum Disorder
Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder: Behaviors to Know at VeryWell Health
- Positive, Proactive Approaches to Supporting Children with Disabilities: A Guide for Stakeholders (July/2022)
- Supporting Students with Disabilities and Avoiding the Discriminatory Use of Student Discipline under Section 504 of the Rehab Act of 1973 ( (July/2022)
- Questions and Answers: Addressing the Needs of Children with Disabilities and IDEA’s Discipline Provisions (July/2022)
Organizations and Resources
Long Island / New York State:
- NYS Office of Mental Health – OMH operates psychiatric centers across the State. OMH also regulates, certifies and oversees more than 4,500 programs, operated by local governments and nonprofit agencies.
- Office of Persons with Developmental Disabilities – OPWDD is responsible for coordinating services for New Yorkers with developmental disabilities. It provides services directly and through a network of approximately 500 nonprofit service providing agencies, with about 80 percent of services provided by the private nonprofits and 20 percent provided by state-run services.
- Adult Career & Continuing Ed Services (ACCES-VR) – assists individuals with achieving and maintaining employment and independent living
- New York Association for Behavior Analysis – NYSABA is the NY chapter of the Association for Behavior Analysis (ABAI).
- Mental Health Association of New York State (MHANYS) –
- Autism Speaks – promotes solutions, across the spectrum and throughout the life span, for the needs of individuals with autism and their families. A great resource for anything autism.
- Autism Society for America – source for legislation and advocacy
- Organization for Autism Research – strives to use science to address the social, educational, and treatment concerns of self-advocates, parents, autism professionals, and caregivers.
- Autism NOW: National Autism Resource and Information Center – provides quality resources and information for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and other developmental disabilities, their families, and other targeted key stakeholders.
- Behavior Analyst Certification Board – meets professional credentialing needs identified by behavior analysts, governments, and consumers of behavior analysis services.
- Association for Behavior Analysis – organization for those interested in the philosophy, science, application, and teaching of behavior analysis.
Parent / Family Support:
- Parent to Parent – a supportive network of families for those who care for people with developmental disabilities or special healthcare needs to navigate and influence service systems and make informed decisions.
- Long Island Families Together (LIFT) – provides information, supports, and services for families with chidren having behavioral, emotional, and mental health challenges
- My Autism Team – online parent support from other parents.
News and Publications
New York State:
- ABLE News – newspaper positively for, by, and about the disabled
- Disability Scoop – national news site for developmental disabilities
Guides / Handbooks
- Treatment for Technology Addiction from the Addiction Center
NYS ID / DD Identification Card
- Request an ID/DD ID Card from Office for Persons with Developmental Disabilities
User’s Guide to Children’s Mental Health Services on Long Island
- Long Island User’s Guide (2018)
- Autism Speaks – Safety Products and Services – list of resources by Autism Speaks
- National Autism Association – Big Red Safety Box – grant for this incredibly important resources is closed for now.
- Assistiveware – designer of apps like Proloquo2go and offers support
- Autism Connect – website directory for everything autism
- Autism Apps – the ‘mother’ of all apps for autism. An app that is a directory for apps related to autism. The link to download
- Apps for More – Apps from PBS kids
- Rufus Robot – collection of apps for different skills, including categories, emotions, numbers / counting, colors.
- Proloquo2go – one of the most popular apps for assistive communication for mobile devices
- Super Why – based on the popular children’s cartoon show
- Pictello – helps create personalized social stories
- Discovery Toys – company designed to accommodate Autism Spectrum Disorder and special needs populations
- Resume Builder – resume and employment guide for people with disabilities
- Affordable Health Insurance. How to qualify and apply for medicaid. Great resource to help navigate medicaid application process. This information can be particularly useful when applying for OPWDD.
- Medicare Plans – offers a guide to navigate the medicare process for individuals with disabilities
- AbleFutures – financial tools and resources